What recruiting strategies work?
· Referrals and referral programs ($)
· Hire for attitude, train for skill
· LinkedIn, networking
· Build recruiting efforts into all media attention
· Online surveys
· Partnership with educational institutions, co-ops, interns, apprenticeship, school sponsoring
· Working interviews so team can see benefit
· Staff have input on who is hired into team
· Use second life online
· Targeted recruiting at sectors of potential employees, eg: where did existing employees come from
· Make culture best practice; highly engaged, motivated employees attract same
· Deliver on branding promise or employees will not be retained
· Have great recruiting experience so even those not hired speak highly of company
· Have great onboarding program, first impressions are lasting
· Steal good ideas from other companies
· Fire fast if you make a mistake, tolerating poor hire affects culture, engagement
· Create recruiting culture-everyone is responsible for bringing in and integrating new people
· Reminder: depending on the type of job being recruited for there may be a shortage of labour or not. It is important
these days to know that candidates are actively looking for a right fit, that they often have choice of where to work, that
they want a positive recruiting experience with timely communication as it is indicative of what they may encounter once hired.
· Create alumni relationships with employees who have moved on, they can be base of future referrals
· Keep focused on career development of all employees, remember old and new employees both are employees.
· Reminder that benefits are entry standard- more and more benefits, higher compensation are shorter term value or golden
hand-cuffs and may retain non-engaged employees. Fair total compensation and great culture, development are best for recruitment
· Wellness and balance are important to everyone and to the health of the organization-leaders need to model this.